Thursday 7 February 2013

Wear Sunscreen - Baz Lurhmann

As I'm learning to drive, I've become pretty close to my driving instructor. I'd say he's in early 60's, he's a retired truck driver and probably the most loveliest man you'll ever meet.
When I had my first lesson, I had never been anywhere near the drivers seat of a car. I knew little to nothing and he had to be incredibly patient with me.
He said he has never lost his temper at a student even when they've blatantly not listened to instructions or smashed his car up.
When my lessons first began, I was a nervous wreck, I felt nauseous and sick before every lesson and gotten pretty close to cancelling them on several occasions.
I didn't though and I've had almost fifteen lessons now. I'm almost at test standard, I'm fine with maneuvers and only stall once or twice a lesson.
Anyway, as I've become close to him, a mutual love we have is music. Albeit our music tastes differ tremendously but he's gotten me into some pretty awesome bands, e.g Eagles, Moody Blues and Yes.

So, a common topic of conversation is my lack of direction in life.
I confessed to him about how utterly confused I am with what I want to do in my future. It depresses me and he's noticed it's something I worry over frequently. Anyway, this morning during my lesson he told me to pull over and he said, 'I think you should listen to this.'
He put a blank CD in the player and we waited. He turns to me and says, 'some truth and advice for you, just listen.'
And then it began. The advice that changed my life.
It was the Always Free To Wear Sunscreen by director Baz Lurhmann.
In it, he talks about always looking after yourself, not worrying about other people, don't be reckless with relationships, understand people come and go in your life, get to know your parents and respect your elders. And then the part he grinned at me was when Baz said, 'never feel guilty about not knowing what you want to do in life.'
It struck a chord in me and I almost cried.
It meant a lot to me to know he took into account what I stressed over frequently and tried to find a solution. It's something nobody else has ever tried to do and therefore, this will stay with me forever and I might pass it onto fellow friends and family. I don't think I've ever been so moved in my life.

If you haven't listened to it, do. I've put the video above so you can watch it and listen to it while reading this and if you have then you understand what I'm talking about.
My driving instructor told me everything is true and he's experienced it firsthand and that the first part of the song applies to me, 'don't take advantage of your youth.'
I really shouldn't. I always believe I can't do something unless I hit a certain time period in my life. I feel I'm trapped at home because I haven't yet passed my driving test, I can't go out and have a good time because I'm not old enough to drink, and this is such a bad way to live life.
There's nothing stopping me from getting on a random bus and stopping anywhere, having to make your way home with nothing but some headphones and your phone.
Who says I need drink to be happy? Like the song says, 'don't rely on something or someone else to support you.'

I thought I'd share this with you. I hope this becomes more popular. I have no idea why I haven't listened to it before. It would have saved my life long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment